PhotoImpact International Forum Home 

Welcome to PhotoImpact International

This forum is a community of members who share a common interest in graphics and photography.

We would be pleased if you would join in our community.
You will meet friendly people, get support and can show off your creativity.

Sorry, our forums are only available to members. To become a member, register. We will send you a questionnaire to complete and email back to us. Once we receive the questionnaire back, we will be in touch with you with user name and password.

Moderated by: ScrappyGranny
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Scrapbooking Tips!  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Sep 30th, 2011 02:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
ScrappyGranny
Administrator/Moderator

Time Zone: CST Central Standard N America UTC -6
Name: Cindy
-: 
-
Some Digital Scrapbooking Terms
Digital Scrapbooking Terms

As you keep these tips in mind, remember also that there are exceptions to every rule, and your photos and page elements will help you determine what composition is best for your page.

I love exceptions.... :)

1. Arrange your photographs so that the eyes of people in the pictures look inward towards the center of the page and/or lead the viewer to the next item on your page.
from Andrea Steed.

2. Create a visual triangle with photos and embellishments. Triangles pull all of the items together, while pairs or groups of 4 will separate them into sections.

3. There is good white space and white space you don't want. This is how to avoid white space not wanted....

Avoid trapped white space. Trapped white space is a block of unused space trapped in the gutter of a page.

Here is a layout, by Joey, that I made years ago when I first started scrapping. I circled in pink the areas of trapped white space. Don’t laugh.

I did a great job having common margins around my layout. I thought I was rockin’ the layout by using the light grid brush to form a visual triangle. But I failed miserably when I trapped some white space not once, but twice! There might even be a third space (far left above the family photo) that could be considered trapped white space! I could have easily avoided this mistake be either adding a little embellishment or brush work to these areas, or I could have moved the photos a bit to eliminate the space all together. Ah, live and learn! by Joey

I played with Joey's page of white space and added things to make the white space disappear. This is what I came up with.
White Space Covered

4. Try to use the same element in odd numbers. 1, 3, or 5 of the same item will typically have a more finished look.

5. Keep your metals matched. For example, use all gold, all silver, or all brass accents rather than mixing the colors.

6. Choose a focal-point photo. Treat other photos as "accessories" that help you to tell the rest of the story. As we read from left to right, the top-left hand corner is an excellent point for your focal-point photo when you have several photos you want to use on your layout.

7. Remember the "Rule of Thirds". If you divide your layout into thirds vertically and horizontally, where those lines meet is generally a good place to put the main focus of your layout.

8. Create contrast in your pages. Avoid elements on the page that are merely similar. If the elements (font, color, size, line thickness, shape, space, etc.) are not the same, then make them VERY different to create a visual contrast.

9. Repeat visual elements of the design throughout the layout. You can repeat color, shape, texture, spatial relationships, sizes, etc.

10. Items relating to each other should be grouped close together. When several items are in close proximity to each other, they become one visual unit rather than several separate units.

11. Be aware of the alignment of all of the items on your page. Nothing should be placed on a page arbitrarily. Every element should have a visual connection with another element on the page.

12. Cut different patterns of paper into large strips and angle them slightly (overlapping if needed) and add your photos on top. This makes your background entirely new and unique.

Some of these tips are for paper scrappers but the results they create will work for digi-scrap, too.

Take a large piece of paper and lay it over your main piece of cardstock, tilt the paper on top just slightly and trim off the tips of the paper to fit the size you need. This can be a really neat look for a quick and simple background! (from me: can make the tilted paper a little smaller than the bottom paper, too, and can even make more layers of tilted papers.)

Break out that old corner rounder punch and add the soft lines to the edges of your photos for a hip and unique look! Well, in our case our digital corner-rounder punch. LOL

STRIPES
13. Determine the mood of your layout. If you want a calm and balanced feel to a layout, place your lines horizontally. If you want an active and busy feel, place your lines vertically.

14. Balance your stripe thickness with the total area where the stripes will be placed. If you have a small space (a journaling block, for example) use thin stripes. Larger stripes would be too much. Alternatively, when you have a larger space (title area or large background area) you can use thick stripes.

When using more than one patterned paper, choose a size that will contrast with the other patterns. For example, use a thin stripe with a big floral.

Check your colors. Your striped pattern should contain colors common with the rest of the layout’s color scheme. Using patterned papers (as in this layout) from the same paper lines can help keep a consistent color scheme.

Use stripes to create a focal point. In an area where a lot of solid color is used, add some stripes. The stripes will create an automatic focal point.

Unite an album or series of scrapbook pages with stripes. Repeating a striped pattern from page to page will unify the pages.

Stripes bring a feeling of symmetry and balance to a layout.

Stripes combine well with other patterned papers including paisleys, florals, and other stripes.

Stripes can be used boldly on a larger amount of the layout surface or it can be used subtly as an accent.

Stripes work with any scrapbook style, including clean and simple, classic, romantic, artsy or Shabby Chic.

15. Cut Edges Guide

16. "Z" Pattern
Submitted by: Dreaminscrap
Arrange elements on your page in a "Z" pattern. This allows your eye to follow the flow of the page easily as if you were reading and makes it pleasing to view.

17. Paper making tip from Lori.
Ok Here is one way of creating Papers. Using the Type Effects. in the Red area Were you can go and select the shapes, Mask and so on and as many as you wish. by layering them Then add you're texture. See the images below.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa224/lasbs2228/MakingPapers.jpg
Results of a few
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa224/lasbs2228/p4dsd_SummerPaperPackPreview_small.jpg

18. Plan a page
Submitted by: Mema

To keep from being over whelmed by all the photo's and ideas. I started by organizing my photo's into catagory's. ( ie... a box for each child, one for holidays ect..) Then select two or three photo's for a page. I then slip these into a ziplock bag, and place in a shoe box until I am ready to do that page.When I am ready to do a new page I pick out a bag of photo's and start scraping.

19. Spiffy up a background...
Sometime you just need a little extra ’something’ to spiffy up a scrapbook page without stealing interest from the subject.

Embossing a shape into your background might be just the thing that makes the difference. Try it out and see what you think…

by Jenn White
http://www.scrappersguide.com/tips_el/embossed-background-paper-el/

This is for PhotoShop Elements but can be done in any program I would think. At least the programs we all use. (Cindy)

20. Circles Allyson Bright
Before deciding whether or not to use circles on your layouts, take a look at your photos and consider the message you’re trying to convey. Circles will convey a mood that is fun energetic, and playful. Circles can be perfect when working with the following subjects:

Bathtime
Children playing outdoors
Pets
Summertime
Swimming
School days
Sports

In addition to the obvious, though, it’s important to realize that circles can also be quite elegant and powerful elements to use when designing a scrapbook page. Consider using a word such as “circle” or “ring” in your title, and then creating a layout featuring circular elements to match. A few examples:

Circle of friends
Full circle
Circle journal
Circles of my life
Ring around the rosy
With this ring…
Bells are ringing (wedding, Christmas)
Ringing in my ears

21. Mix it up!! from SN Fontaholic

Following the link you will find an image with different font combinations.

Opposites Attract: Try using two fonts that are complete opposites together like serif and sans serif, a big fat font and a skinny font, a fancy script and a simple serif or an uppercase font with a lower case one.

Choose fonts with different kerning or play with it yourself. The kerning is the space between letters. It's really trendy to have an E N O R M O U S space between letters on some words!

Don't go overboard. Limit the fonts to 3-5 different font in one document. Sure, you will some examples that can pull off more but leave that to the professionals!

Body text or the "bulk" of the text that a person has to read (like what you are doing now) needs to be in something easy to read. For print, serif fonts are the easiest on the eyes to read. Sans serif is easier to read on the computer though.

Mix fonts from the same historical period but have different features.

22. Basics steps to create a Layout
Submitted by: Taba
Stop worrying...everyone starts somewhere and no one can achieve true perfection in this life. Time is not indicator for lack of talent. Relax and enjoy!!!

Individualize what you create....Don't obsess over create an identical copy of a layout. They are for your reference and to help make the layout design process easier for you. It is more than OK to lift an idea from a magazine. That's what they are for but remember to stay flexible and enjoy yourself.

Five things every scrapbook page should have:
1. Photos...select the ones that best represent that event/emotion you want to reflect. You don't have to scrapbook every photo you own.
2. Journaling.... at the very least you should always include the "what, when, and where" of your photos.
3. Complementary color.... Color and patterns in any form should always complement and enhance the photo. For ease try buying page kits with coordinating items.
4. Effective design.... your design should always showcase your photos and never overpower.
5. Long Lasting Construction: the goal is for your page to withstand time and its elements, make sure your products are of archival quality and applied securely with your adhesive. (Cindy: unless you are doing digital) :)

*** Remember its not always how much stuff you use on a page but how you use it. Have fun preserving your memories and finding your own style.

Basic Steps:

1. choose a theme...ex. bday, zoo, baby
2. Select photos that best represent the theme
3. Find Inspiration...ex a magazine layout, an embellishment, an ad, clothing..anything
4. sketch your layout if you do not already have a floor plan for it. Know what space you have available to work with and where things would best fit.
5. Crop your photos as needed...Cropping is trimming down your photo to eliminate unwanted & unnecessary space.
6. Mat your photos....matting is to adhere paper for a backdrop/frame for your photos. Matting can help draw attention back to your photo. You can mat one or all or none at all. Use you instinct. Is it necessary ?what purpose does it serve?
7. Select and embellish your elements...stickers, brads, journal boxes...you can chalk paint, ink, distress your elements.
8. start arranging your elements of your page like a puzzle. Play around an notice whether the layout has a good flow or if something feels to empty or heavy on your layout.
9. When you feel like everything is in the perfect place then and only then should you glue it down (unless you use repositionable adhesive) Congratulation you finished a page!!!

23. A few uses for eyelets in scrapbooking

* like bullet points in text
* in the hole of your tag
* to attach tags, ribbon, etc to your page
* to thread ribbon through
* in corners of photos
* as centers of flowers

24. Somethings Missing?
Submitted by: Phoenix R

Ever had a lo you thought was done, but when you stepped back it was missing something? Did you sit there staring at it and just not being able to come up with what else to do? Next time this happens to you try matting the whole page. It will frame the page and you can quickly try different patterns and colors. I know it sounds too simple, but try it! It works for me nearly every time I want something extra, but can't fit anymore on a page or just don't want to.

25. Choose a focal-point photo. Treat other photos as "accessories" that help you to tell the rest of the story. As we read from left to right, the top-left hand corner is an excellent point for your focal-point photo when you have several photos you want to use on your layout.

Last edited on Tue Oct 4th, 2016 05:47 pm by ScrappyGranny

Posted: Thu Jul 11th, 2013 02:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
anne
Members

Time Zone: ACDT Australian Central Daylight Aus UTC +10:30
Name: Anne
-: 
-
I just re-read this and, again, got fresh ideas from it. Thanks, Cindy :)

Anne
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Posted: Thu Jul 11th, 2013 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
ScrappyGranny
Administrator/Moderator

Time Zone: CST Central Standard N America UTC -6
Name: Cindy
-: 
-
:) You are welcome, Anne! I probably need to re-read it, too. LOLOL ok, I know I do. LOL

Current time is 07:46 pm  
PhotoImpact International Forum > Activity Forums Novice to Advanced -- There is something for You > Scrapbooking > Scrapbooking Tips! Top

Winter Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1548 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 27 queries executed.